Get ready for a Sunday in hell.
If you’re reading this, it’s because we thought you’d be a perfect candidate for our upcoming exercise in self-flagellation and cycling-culture revelry.
Consider this a formal invitation to pit yourself against a field of worthy competitors in Victoria’s finest early-season bicycle race: The Leechtown Invitational.
- All 56 km of the Galloping Goose regional trail.
- A mostly flat route, passing through busy road crossings, rural farmland, and ocean side overlooks, with the occasional steep gravel pitch to break up the peloton.
- The potential for punctures, errant Labradors, or team treachery.
- A final 20km of loose uphill gravel will sap what strength remains from the riders, finishing with a potential sprint finish.
- The Invitational is a rouleur’s race - long breaks or an all-or-nothing last minute effort.
- Sunday, February 12th, 2012.
- Meet at The Switch Bridge (Recyclista’s Bike Collective, 5 Crease Ave, Victoria, BC)
- $10 cash entry
- There will be a car at the start line that will greet racers at the finish. Feel free to bring a bag of warm clothes for after the race and stash it in the trunk.
- No shuttle back to Victoria. Expect to ride home after the finish, or make other arrangements.
- When we say invitational, we’re kidding...mostly. If you know of anyone who would be up for a challenge, have them fire an e-mail to email@example.com and then register below.
- 10 am start.
- Stick to the Goose. Gentleman’s (or women’s) honour.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Team tactics encouraged.
- First three finishers win beer, high-fives and everlasting glory.